Working from home is a dream job for every mother but it doesn’t come without it’s own challenges. Between the kids schedule, dinner than needs prepping, and your own sanity running a home based business isn’t always easy. However there are a few tips that can help you keep your life organized sot that your work from home business doesn’t suffer. These few tips will not only increase productivity but help with your sanity as well.
1. Use an online notebook such as “Evernote”
As a mom you are always on the go. Soccer games, ballet lessons, grocery shopping, etc. with an app like Evernote you can jot down your thoughts, to do list, save pictures, articles, or quotes on any of your devices. It is available where ever you go, that means that you will never have to worry about forgetting that one thing you thought of while you were out and about.
2. Check lists
I am one who thrives on check lists. There is something about looking back on your day and seeing all of those little check markers. With an app like “To-doist” you can segment your check list into mom things, business things, or personal things. You can set reminders, set priorities, and even color coordinate each sections. This is a great tool to keep you organized and help you manage all the different areas of your life!
3. Timing tool
Any mom will tell you that timing is everything. Running a home based business is no exception, especially when it comes to advertising through social media. Every platform has optimal times for posting to get the most page views. Well what if that time happens to be during soccer practice or your kids first school play. And lets be honest here, as a mom you don’t have the time to keep up on that anyway. There is a fabulous tool called Buffer that always you to schedule when things are posted on your social media platforms. It also allows you to schedule several posts in advance so you can do this a week at a time.
These tips can save you time and maybe even a little sanity, especially when you are running a direct sales business like when you are a Scentsy Consultant. Don’t let the thought of running a home based business get you down. Take advantage of the tools that are available to help you.
So you’re a mom, and you want to start a business. Especially one that you can stay at home with those cute kiddos of yours. But where do you start? There are a lot of work at home jobs that are still time demanding and make it so even though you are home you still have to work on someone else’s schedule. Starting a direct selling business like becoming a Scentsy Consultant or Avon Rep could be the way you want to go. When you have your own direct selling business you schedule when you want to work and when you are with your family. It’s a win win. So where do you start? Here are 7 tips that will help you get started during your first six months of business.
- Get Organized. I recommend getting a notebook, maybe a couple, to keep all your information in. You are going to have prospective customers and prospective team members that you will want to keep track of. Get a planner so you can schedule your time with your family and when you are going to work.
- See what other successful people are doing. Check out Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. and find other people in you profession that are doing well. Follow them and see what they are doing. They became successful for a reason. If you do what they do there is no doubt that you will be successful too.
- Start talking about your business. If you don’t open your mouth and start talking about it no one will know that you are even doing a business. Put it out there on Social Media Platforms, tell your neighbors, family, friends, random people you see at the grocery store. The more you talk about it them more prospects you are going to have.
- Open a separate bank account. For tax purposes it makes it so much easier to have a separate bank account that is just for your business. This will help you to know what expenses you have, how much you make, and makes things easy to track.
- Find Support Groups online and in person. Many “teams” have team meetings that are great to go to. You learn so much from other people, find out what struggles they are having and what successes as well. If you can’t find a meeting place in your area, there are plenty of online groups. Facebook and Google plus have great groups for work at home moms as well as groups that are specific to your niche so if you are selling Avon there are tons of Avon groups. The same is said for Scentsy or any other direct selling company you may have joined.
- Make sure you schedule time for yourself. Being a mom is hard enough let alone trying to juggle a work at home job as well. Make sure you are take time to relax, spend quality time with your kids or your husband. Take time to read a good book, take a bubble bath, or do whatever you enjoy. Sometimes when you are first getting started you focus so much on your business and don’t focus on what is the most important.
I hope these tips are helpful and good luck with your new business. By using these tips you will get a good foundation to have a booming business.
Working from home can be an amazing opportunity until you through your children into the mix. They create a much more difficult environment. Work from home jobs come in lots of different varieties, telecommuting, direct sales like Scentsy Wickless Candles, and so much more but they all present challenges when kids run around your home. Here are a few tips to making working from home with kids just a little simpler.
Set a schedule for yourself – Kids thrive on schedules and routines, be consistent in your weekly schedule. Have a designated space and time of when you work. Your kids will catch on very quickly that mom is working during that time.
Get your kids involved – This isn’t always the easiest thing to do if your children are young but when possible get your kids involved in your business. Have them label things or organize your desk. (It doesn’t have to be directly related to your business but if they feel like they are helping mom they will enjoy you working) Consider having a babysitter come over while you work. Then it gets them out of your space and they think it’s pretty awesome too, win/win!
Use nap time wisely – It is very tempting to use this time to clean up your house or take a nap yourself but if you can maximize your time while they are sleeping you will be much more productive.
Step outside – Working from home can be stressful for you and your kids at times. It is okay to take an afternoon, a day, or even a week off and spend some time outside with the kids every so often. This releases some of the pressure from you and eases the tension around the house. One thing to take note of is focus on what you are doing. If you take a day off to be with the kids, be with the kids. Not answer phone calls or just on your laptop really quick. Stay focused on what you are doing.
Confidence – You have to embrace the simple truth: I can do this. It is an adjustment and you have to be diligent with your time and kids but with a little bit of practice you can have an amazing work from home job where you can make good money.
The role of mom is changing from what it was years ago. The role of a mother used to be staying at home, taking care of the kids, husband, house work, cleaning, mending, paying bills, etc. Now as a mom you still do all those things but there has been a shift in roles. Mom’s now want or need to work to help support their husband’s in this crazy expensive world yet still want to be home with their children so the work a home mommy was born. Moms now can have the best of both worlds. They can stay at home, take care of their children, take them to soccer practice, get dinner on the table and even fold a load of laundry while maintaining a successful business. There are many forms of the work at home mom. Some moms decide to work for call centers that let you work from home, some start their own blog network, and others start their own networking business through multi-level marketing like Scentsy, Mary Kay, or Avon.
There was a study done that asked work at home moms about what got them started and what was their motivation for making this transition from mom to work at home mom. The majority of moms – 64% in fact – said that they started their business to help other people. Whether it be a blog about losing weight, sharing products to help others lives better, or helping people learn skills, these work at home moms wanted to be the ones to share their great ideas and products with others. So when does this need to help others start? Of the work at home moms interviewed 38% of them came up with their idea to work at home after their child was a toddler. This makes sense because moms are usually in baby mode and are taking care of the needs of a new life. Only 11% came up with their idea when their baby was less than 6 months old.
It costs money to start up any new business. The good news for moms that want to become an entrepreneur is it doesn’t have to cost much. If you were to buy a franchise of a company it could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Moms that start their own businesses spend just a fraction of that. Starting a blog or joining a multi-level marketing business can cost as little as $99. Most people make that back in their first month. When asked, 76% of these work at home moms used their personal savings to start up their business or market their big idea. Only 2% used credit cards or loans to get started.
How do these moms do it? Being a mom is a full time job in and of itself. Over two-thirds of these work at home moms say that they have a better work and family life balance than they did working for someone else. They have to plan and schedule their day, but that makes them more productive to get things done. An astounding 80% of these work at home moms say they do their “jobs” not only for the monetary benefit but because it is emotionally fulfilling as well. So if you are thinking about becoming a work at home mom, look at your options and try one out.